Event Terms & Conditions
Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy
Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy
When you (“you”, “your”, “participant”, “attendee”) register for the Event, you are entering into a legally binding contract with the Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy ("APTA Pelvic Health", "Academy", "we", "us", "our"). This Agreement sets out the terms that apply to your participation in any Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy event (the "Event", “Course”), including but not limited to continuing education courses, webinars, workshops, and select conferences hosted by the Academy.
Admittance. By registering for the Event, you acknowledge that your registration grants you admittance solely for yourself as the intended attendee. It is important to note that any and all additional expenses related to your participation in the Event, including but not limited to travel and accommodation costs, are your sole responsibility. We shall not be liable for covering such expenses. Your registration explicitly confirms that you, as the registering individual, will be the attendee at the Event and not someone else.
- Eligibility. Our events are open to Physical Therapists (PTs), Physical Therapist Assistants (PTAs), and Student Physical Therapists (SPTs). You understand that you are responsible for reviewing and meeting the specific eligibility requirements for the respective Event. We reserve the right to remove you from the Event should you not meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the Event description. If you have registered for the Event and falsified or inaccurately reported your eligibility information, the Academy reserves the right to immediately dismiss you from the Event and cancel your registration. You understand that you are responsible for any travel, lodging, and accommodation expenses you have incurred in connection with this Event.
- Prerequisites. If the Event requires a prerequisite, you understand that you are responsible for meeting the prerequisite requirement prior to attending the Event. If you fail to meet the prerequisite requirement, you will be dismissed from the Event and your registration will be canceled. You understand that your registration may be canceled and that you are responsible for any travel, lodging, and accommodation expenses you have incurred.
- Conduct. We are committed to providing a peaceful and harassment-free Event and we expect all attendees to behave appropriately and to treat everyone else at the Event with dignity and respect. You acknowledge that we reserve the right to remove you from the Event if we, in our sole discretion, consider your presence and / or behavior to create a disruption or to hinder the Event and / or the enjoyment and learning experience of other attendees or speakers. You agree to APTA’s Code of Conduct and Code of Ethics for the Physical Therapist. Harassment or discriminatory language, behavior, or imagery is not allowed. Those who violate these standards may be removed from the Event.
- Travel, Lodging, Meals. You understand that you are expected to attend the entire course and are financially responsible for making your own travel, lodging, and meal plans accordingly. If you decide to cancel your Event registration or if you have been removed from the Event, you understand that you are solely responsible for your own incurred expenses.
- Event Agenda. You acknowledge and agree that the Academy, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to change any and all aspects of the Event, including but not limited to, the Event name, themes, content, contact hours, program, speakers, performers, hosts, moderators, sponsors, venue, dates, and times. The Academy will make its best effort to communicate critical changes to the agenda should changes arise.
- Accessing the Learning Center and/or Event Materials. You understand that you are responsible for accessing the Academy's Learning Center before the course and completing any pre-readings and assignments prior to the Event. You understand that not completing the assignments may result in your difficulty comprehending and absorbing materials presented at the Event. You understand that it is your responsibility to check that you have access to all the Event materials prior to the scheduled Event and that you contact the Academy office for assistance.
- Six-Month Limited Access to Course Materials. You understand that you will have access to the course materials in the Learning Center for up to 6 months following the last day of the course. To ensure that you have access to the materials beyond this time frame, you understand that it is your responsibility to download and save any course materials you wish to retain for yourself on your personal device(s) and understand that you will lose access to the course materials in the Learning Center after the six-month mark passes.
- CEU Approval. The Academy does not individually apply for course approval numbers to each state. You understand that you are responsible for obtaining Continuing Education Unit (“CEU”) approval for the Event in your respective state or jurisdiction. If you have successfully completed and passed the testing requirements of the Event, the Academy may provide necessary documentation to aid you in your CEU application preparation such as course descriptions, course objectives, time-ordered agendas, sample evaluation surveys, and a certificate of completion. View CEU Approval instructions.
- Attendance and Punctuality. You understand that you must be present throughout the full duration of the Event and missing any part of the Event may result in your contact hours being forfeited, dismissal from the Event, and/or loss of eligibility to proceed to the next Event in the series if the Event is part of a consecutive, multi-level series of Events (i.e. CAPP Certification course levels). Your contact hours will be forfeited and you will be dismissed if you 1) Miss two or more lecture hours or 2) Miss any part of the group activities and skills checks (i.e. case study discussions, case study presentations, lab skills checks). If the Event is a required prerequisite course before the next level in its series, and you did not meet the above attendance and punctuality requirements, you shall retake the prerequisite course in order to advance to the next Event in the series. Should extenuating circumstances arise, you understand that it is your responsibility to notify the Academy immediately. Consideration for course completion will be made on a case-by-case basis by the Academy.
- Event Fees. The payment of the applicable fee(s) for the Event is due upon registration. If such payment is insufficient or declined for any reason we may refuse to admit you to the Event and shall have no liability in that regard. Fee(s) may be subject to transaction fees, administrative processing fees, sales tax, value-added tax, or any other taxes and duties which, if applicable, will be charged to you in addition to the fee(s).
- Event Registration Cancellation: You understand that you can cancel your Event registration only prior to the Event. The following refund rules apply: 1) If you cancel your course registration before the two-week mark prior to the course start date, you will be eligible for a partial refund of 80% of the amount you paid, 2) Cancellations made less than two weeks prior to the course start date or made after the course started are not eligible for a refund. We understand that there may be circumstances outside of your control that may result in you needing to cancel your Event registration. You understand that while refunds are not guaranteed outside our policy, it is your responsibility to contact the Academy office to plead your case. Consideration for providing refunds outside the policy and transferring your registration to a future course will be given on a case-by-case basis. If you wish to cancel your Event registration, please complete our designated form: Cancel or Transfer My Registration.
- Transfers: Your Event registration is non-transferable to other individuals. If you are an Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy member, you understand that if you qualify for a course discount based on your membership status, you may not transfer your discount to a colleague who is not a member or sign them up for an Event using your membership account. The Academy will cancel the registration if this is the case. Your Registration is transferable to another Event as long as the other Event is occurring during the same calendar year for an additional fee of $75. The transfer request must be made at least 3 weeks prior to the scheduled Event via the designated form: Cancel or Transfer My Registration.
- Course Cancellation: The Academy reserves the right to cancel the Event for any reason. In the event the Academy cancels an Event, the Academy shall provide you with a full refund for the Event registration fee or give you the option to transfer your registration to a future course. The Academy is not responsible for providing reimbursement or a refund for any travel, lodging, or other expenses you have incurred in preparation for this Event. You are financially responsible for making and canceling your own travel arrangements.
IV. LAB PARTICIPATION
Please note that these terms apply to Events that require you to participate in hands-on lab activities in-person.
- Required Participation as "Therapist" and "Patient. If the Event includes hands-on lab activities in which you are required to participate as the “therapist” and “patient” to satisfy Event or course requirements, you understand that your refusal to participate as the “patient” in such activities will result in your dismissal from the course and forfeiture of contact hours. You understand that your full participation is integral to ensuring your learning. You understand that participants of all genders may be present in the room during the completion of lab activities where participants may be in a state of undress.
- Menstrual Cycle. For Events that require internal lab examinations, you understand that you will still be expected to fully participate in the Event Lab activities while you are on your menstrual cycle. You understand that you will be provided a menstrual cup to hold back menstrual flow in order to allow participation in internal lab examinations.
- Breastfeeding. If you are a lactating mother and you need to pump during the Event, you understand that you will plan to do so during Event break times and lunch hours. You understand that it is your responsibility to contact the Academy in advance to coordinate providing a space at the course site for you to pump.
- Tests, Measures, Interventions. You understand that these tests, measurements, and/or interventions performed during the Event lab activities are being performed for the sole purpose of demonstration and practice by participants and are not intended to be diagnostic or therapeutic. You understand the external and internal examinations that may be performed in the Event pose no greater risk than a standard gynecologic or colorectal examination.
- Health Conditions. If you have a health condition or health-related concern regarding your participation, you understand that it is your responsibility to disclose those conditions and concerns to the Academy. By registering and participating in this Event, you understand and assume all risks and responsibilities for your health and medical needs.
- Medical Condition Disclosures. You understand that it is your responsibility to inform the Academy about any relevant physical, emotional, or medical conditions, as well as any limitations or sensitivities that may affect your participation.
- Pregnancy. If you are pregnant, you understand that you cannot participate as a “patient” in labs for CAPP-Pelvic Events and the other select Events that require participation in intravaginal examinations unless your physician provides written permission for your full participation after reading the Event course description and lab outlines. If you do not have written physician permission, then you must provide a live female patient model to stand in for you. Due to the repetition and extensive nature of these labs, the Academy recommends that pregnant participants provide a model to stand their place. By registering for this Event, you assure the Academy that you have honestly and thoroughly addressed all health-related questions, revealing all relevant information crucial to your involvement in the Event, and have successfully uploaded all the required physician permission notes through the designated Medical Disclosures Form at least seven (7) days prior to the Event.
- Other Conditions. If you are have undergone surgical procedures or experienced recent injuries, you must ensure that you have consulted with your physician(s) regarding the lab participation expectations and requirements for this course and obtained all the necessary permission slips from them to participate in the Academy's Event. By registering for this Event, you assure the Academy that you have honestly and thoroughly addressed all health-related questions, revealing all relevant information crucial to your involvement in the Event, and have successfully uploaded all the required physician permission notes through the designated Medical Disclosures Form at least seven (7) days prior to the Event.
- Medical Models. For all CAPP-Pelvic Event labs and select other Events hosted by the Academy, attendees may be expected to be both the examining “therapist” and “patient” participant and may be required to participate in intravaginal and/or intrarectal examinations. If a participant has a pre-existing medical condition that prevents them from having an examination or lacks the anatomical components examined during the lab, the participant is responsible for finding a person to serve as a medical model. You understand that if you do not wish to participate as the “patient”, you are responsible for supplying your own medical model. A medical model is a person that would stand in for the participant as the “patient” during labs. There is significant value in each participant learning by examining different “patients” during labs. Therefore, the model will be expected to be examined by different “therapists”. The medical model must be present for all labs and skill checks during the Event. If you, for any reason, are unable to participate, and have not pre-arranged for a medical model, you understand that you will be dismissed from the Event, and your registration will be transferred to a future Event. You understand that you are responsible for all costs associated with securing and hiring a medical model. View Medical Model Guidelines
- Required Use of a Medical Model. In Events that require you to participate in lab activities (i.e. intravaginal and rectal examinations), those unable to participate in examinations as the “patient” include, but are not limited to, the following:
Recent surgical procedure without medical clearance
Less than six (6) weeks postpartum
Active urinary tract, vaginal, or rectal infections
Active lesions from sexually transmitted infections
The participant lacks the anatomical components for examination
Additional Considerations for Use of Medical Model. It is your decision to use a medical model to participate in “patient” examinations. Those who may be unable to participate in “patient” examinations may include, but are not limited, to the following:
A participant who is experiencing an active exacerbation of an abdominopelvic medical condition (i.e. inflammatory bowel disease) or dermatologic condition (i.e. lichens sclerosis), that would prevent an exam
A participant with a history of sexual abuse or trauma who may experience an emotional response as the “patient” during the lab activities
A participant with a history of pelvic pain or painful sexual activity
Confirmed or suspected pregnancy (all pregnant participants must complete the Medical Disclosures Form and upload their physician’s permission note)
A participant who has never had an internal gynecological examination
Social, cultural, or religious practices
Medical Model Liability Waiver. You understand that if you decide to bring a medical model to substitute for your participation as the “patient” in the Event, you have read and agree to the Medical Model Guidelines and are responsible for them completing and submitting a Medical Model Liability Waiver Form at least seven (7) days prior to the Event. View Medical Model Guidelines & Liability Waiver Form.
V. MEDIA RELEASE / PERMISSION TO RECORD
By registering for an Academy event, you hereby give and grant to Academy the irrevocable right, permission, and license to take photos and/or audio/video record you at this event and publish, reproduce, and otherwise use the photos and audio/video recording in all forms and media for educational, trade, web, advertising, and all other lawful purposes without compensation. You understand that the Academy will make its best effort not to film, record, or photograph you in a state of undress. In the event, a photo or video is taken of you in any state of undress, the Academy will make its best effort to blur your face and name tag. You release and discharge the Academy from all forms of claims and liability related to your photo and audio/video recording. You agree that the photos and audio/video recording shall be the sole property of the Academy and you grant, assign and transfer to the Academy all necessary rights to that effect. By granting permission for photography and audio/video recording, you release the Academy from all forms of claims and liability related to the use of your photos and audio/video recordings.
Subject to the following limitations, all photographs, audio, and video recording of Event sessions by you are strictly prohibited:
- Photographs, short audio, and video clips taken and recorded by you may be used for social media, blogging, and press coverage of the Event.
- All subjects in photographs and video clips must be fully clothed and professionally represented.
- Without express, written permission from the Academy, audio and video clips published must be non-contiguous clips of ten seconds or less and photographs must not contain Event materials such as the inside of course manuals, handouts, charts, images, diagrams, and other educational content protected under copyright.
VII. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The Academy has worked extremely hard to create and develop the Event and all the content that you will receive at the Event. All intellectual property rights to the Event content and all materials distributed at or in connection with the Event are owned by the Academy. You may not use or reproduce or allow anyone to use or reproduce, for any reason without the Academy's prior written permission: (i) any trademarks or other trade names appearing at the Event; (ii) in any Event content; and/or (iii) in any materials distributed at or in connection with the Event. This means, among other things, that you cannot teach or train others using the Event content and all materials distributed at or in connection with the Event. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to vest in you any legal or beneficial right in or to any trademarks or other intellectual property rights owned or used under license by the Academy or grant to you any right or license to any other intellectual property rights of the Academy, all of which shall at all times remain the exclusive property of the Academy. Event content may include but is not limited to the following: course titles, descriptions, agendas, videos, images, other media, course manuals, handouts, forms, course outlines, and any instructional materials used such as PowerPoint presentation files.
VIII. LIABILITY WAIVER AND RELEASE
You have read and understand the terms and conditions outlined in this agreement. On behalf of yourself, your family, heirs, and personal representatives, you hereby forever release and hold harmless the Academy and its officers, directors, members, employees, contractors, consultants, and agents, as well as the facility and staff where the course is being held, from and against any and all liability for, and waive all claims against such persons with respect to, any harm, personal injury, or damage, including serious illness or even death, arising out of your participation in the Event, even if caused by the negligence of any of the above persons (provided that no person who engaged in gross negligence or intentional wrongdoing is protected by this section). You affirm that you understand and agree that it is your responsibility to only apply interventions within your scope of practice (PT) and scope of work (PTA) as determined by the state practice act governing the location where you are providing healthcare services.