Diastasis Done Differently (Antony Lo)
8 Contact Hours
Have you noticed just how HOT diastasis is right now?! Everyone has a program or course or book to sell about it…including me! The problem is that people managing Diastasis Rectus Abdominis (DRA) are confused because there are so many mixed messages floating around out there.
I have found that taking a step back and focusing on the key principles of assessment and management allows us to see the “problem” of DRA differently. By challenging the assumptions which help form our Beliefs, Attitudes, Meaning, and Story (BAMS), we are able to see how these BAMS affect our behaviour – the language we use, the choices we make and the advice we give. By reframing what having DRA means, we have a chance of changing the experience for millions of women.
Traditional approaches to Diastasis Rectus Abdominis are to try to remember as much of the anatomy as possible, learn how to isolate different muscles, breathe differently, and perform low level exercises…and whilst this may work for many, there are many who struggle with this and it is often unnecessarily slow at helping people return to their goal activities.
In this course, a practical, interactive approach to Diastasis Rectus Abdominis is taken. The content is clinically relevant, practical and based on the most recent research. There will be Real-Time Ultrasound used to help illustrate the points being made as well as lots of exercises and activities to help integrate the Thinking and Knowledge with Assessment and Management Principles in real people.
Are you ready to approach DRA differently? Are you ready to leave the fear and complexity behind? If so, then this is the course for you!
This course will take you through:
- A practical look at the current thinking around diastasis
- The anatomy involved
- The use of ultrasound to see these things in action
- Practical implementation of the principles for the assessment and management for people with diastasis (including a real client demonstration, diastasis checklist, and how to design an exercise program)
For this Online course, you have access to Antony via the comments section and private Reflection Questions
- Upon completion of this course, participants will learn how to:
- Evaluate Diastasis Rectus Abdominis (DRA) using a biopsychosocial framework
- Construct a person-centered approach to the assessment and management of a person with DRA
- Develop a systematic process to reframing what Diastasis Rectus Abdominis means from a theoretical and clinical perspective
- Create an individualised exercise program for a person with Diastasis or program for a series of group classes.
Antony Lo, B.App.Sc.(Physiotherapy), Master in Manual Therapy, APA Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist and Educator
Antony Lo is a physiotherapist, educator and podcast host from Australia who works at the junction of Musculoskeletal/Ortho, Sports, and Pelvic Health. He runs The Physio Detective Clinic, My PT Education, The Women’s Health Podcast, and The Diastasis Project. He helps the general public and health and fitness professionals who struggle to progress women to moderate-to-high intensity exercise - this is done by cutting through the BS and thinking outside the box so they confidently assist people to achieve their goals.
Lo earned his degree from the University of Sydney and has been in practice since 1997 (old enough to see old things come back as new things!). He completed his post- graduate Master in Manual Therapy (Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy) from the University of Western Australia and commenced his Specialization training in Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy. He has been involved in antenatal and postnatal education and management for his whole career (since 1997).
Through participation and through his work as a Physiotherapist at all levels of sport, coaching and education, he has developed a model of treatment that utilizes the best from Sports Science, Musculoskeletal/Sports Physiotherapy, Pain Science, and Women’s Health research to provide a practical, realistic holistic model of care balancing the biopsychosocial model of healthcare with the best of historical assessment and management approaches. He is privileged to teach health and fitness professionals around the world in person and online in addition to his clinical work. Antony has a wife and 3 children, living in the best city in the world – Sydney, Australia!"
Disclaimer: This course listing contains affiliate links. The Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy may earn a commission from purchases made via affiliate links. This course may not be eligible for APTA Pelvic Health-run discounts and coupon promotions. By clicking below, you will be rerouted to the affiliate vendor's website to complete your purchase.
Price: USD $317.60-$397.00
- “I really enjoyed how different this course was, and I liked watching Antony do a live evaluation. The course gave me confidence to not be afraid and to think outside the box. The social media world is full of do’s and don’ts and it was refreshing to hear that you need to challenge your patients and load them in ALL different ways. It basically challenged every rule I have ever learned, in a good way."
- "I love that I came into the course really not having any knowledge on how to properly assess for a diastasis and I now feel 100% confident in assessing and treating.... And of course -doing something different.”
- “This was an amazing course that I would recommend to ANY PT whether you're a new grad or more advanced PT this course will challenge your thinking and push you outside your comfort zone... in the best way.”
- “Tons of aha moments! Love that treatment was based on patient's symptoms. Love the cueing ""do something different. I feel I was given the license to stop treating from a place of fragility in the pregnant and postpartum world and instead challenge these women to their limits.”
- “This course will blow your mind when it comes to helping your clients with diastasis. Very practical and a great one day course to get you thinking differently about challenging your clients and how you approach them. I highly recommend it.”
- “Deeply appreciated the philosophy of treating patients/clients as equal participants in the assessment and treatment process.”
- “Highly recommend this course! Learned so much and gained confidence in progressing my patients!”
- “Diastasis Done Differently is truly different. I absolutely love the way the course is laid out. Antony includes very detailed and labeled ultrasound videos throughout the course so you can really see and understand what is happening with all the abdominal tissues during movement and exercise.
- “The level of anatomy was amazing, and I found Antony very easy to listen to. He explains everything clearly. I would say absolutely take the course!”
- “I really liked how you are changing the way we think about DRA.”
- "The course empowered me as a therapist, but also teaches me how to empower clients through guidance, exercise, and knowledge. The course has given me the confidence to guide my clients through their diastasis journey.”